About Me

My photo
As an author inspired by the aesthetic of virtue drawn from the many esoteric works I experience and research,I seek wisdom, truth and the light that emanates from all things born of the great void... a lover of life, gnosis and my Clan Family - The People of Goda, of the Clan of Tubal Cain www.clanoftubalcain.org.uk.

Thursday 16 June 2011

FREYA



The songs I know    that king's wives know not,
Nor men that are sons of me;
The first is called help,    and help it can bring thee
In sorrow and pain and sickness.

A second I know,    that men shall need
Who leechcraft long to use.
.    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .
.    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .

A third I know,     if great is my need
Of fetters to hold my foe;
Blunt do I make    mine enemy's blade,
Nor bites his sword or staff.

A fourth I know,    if men shall fasten
Bonds to my bended legs;
So great is the charm    that forth I may go,
The fetters spring from my feet,
Broken the bonds from my hands.


A fifth I know,    if I see from afar
An arrow fly 'gainst the folk;
If flies not so swift    that I stop it not,
If ever my eyes behold it.

A sixth I know,    if harm one seeks
With a sapling's roots to send me;
The hero himself    who wreaks his hate
Shall taste the ill ere I.

A seventh I know,    if I see in flames
The hall o'er my comrades' heads;
It burns not so wide    that I will not quench it,
I know that song to sing.

An eighth I know,    that is to all
Of greatest good to learn;
When hatred grows    among heroes' sons,
I soon can set it right.


A ninth I know,    if need there comes
To shelter my ship on the flood;
The wind I calm    upon the waves,
And the sea I put to sleep.

A tenth I know,    what time I see
House-riders flying on high;
So can I work    that wildly they go,
Showing their true shapes,
Hence to their own homes.

An eleventh I know,    if needs I must lead
To the fight my long-loved friends;
I sing in the shields,     and in strength they go
Whole to the field of fight,
Whole from the field of fight,
And whole they come thence home.

A twelfth I know,    if high on a tree
I see a hanged man swing;
So do I write    and colour the runes
That forth he fares,
And to me talks.

A thirteenth I know,    if a thane full young
With water I sprinkle well;
He shall not fall,    though he fares mid the host,
Nor sink beneath the swords.

A fourteenth I know,    if fain I would name
To men the mighty gods;
All know I well    of the gods and elves,--
Few be the fools know this.

A fifteenth I know,    that before the doors
Of Delling sang Thjothrorir the dwarf;
Might he sang for the gods,    and glory for elves,
And wisdom for Hroptatyr wise.



A sixteenth I know,    if I seek delight
To win from a maiden wise;
The mind I turn    of the white-armed maid,
And thus change all her thoughts.

A seventeenth I know,    so that seldom shall go
A maiden young from me;
.    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .
.    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .

An eighteenth I know,    that ne'er will I tell
To maiden or wife of man,--
The best is what none    but one's self doth know,
So comes the end of the songs,--
Save only to her    in whose arms I lie,
Or else my sister is.

Images:

No comments:

Post a Comment